In response to the police raid of the Lakeview Sit-in yesterday and in order to continue the struggle for these 5 schools and for quality, fully-funded public education we rallied at 5pm outside of Lakeview Elementary School.
After the rally we marched to Tony Smith’s house and arrived to his house chanting “Tony Smith: Re-Open or Resign”. We had various speakers in front of his house demanding that Tony Smith listen to the people, Re-Open our Schools and stop his destructive cuts and privatization of Oakland schools.
Tony Smith has succeeded in:
- driving up the dropout rate (now over 48%)
- driving up class sizes.
- driving out hundreds of experienced teachers and ripping up union contract protections.
- shutting down the Adult Education program
- slashing the Early Childhood Education program
- eliminating $2.1 million of transportation funds for Special Education.
- draining the public schools of students and money by increasing the proliferation of charter schools, that drain public schools of students.